Friday, January 25, 2013

Shaken, Stirred, and Shifted

It's super cliche but we all have moment in our lives where our perspective is shifted. Sometimes it's a literally physical and emotional upheaval, sometimes it's a small change or bump. It can be a simple event, sometimes a tragedy.

Recently for me, it's been a little of all of it, and kind of none of it...

As most of you have probably heard myself and a couple other volunteers were mugged outside of our hotel in Nairobi early on the night of the 12th. Thankfully, I was the only one physically injured. (Follow-up, picture post to come), with some trama to my eye.

Overall, it should be a pretty tramatic event.  I mean one of the biggest fears, especially being abroad, is being assulted, right? This is where my perspective has been stirred, so to speak. I have had people tell me that I am such a strong person, or that I'm handling it so well, or that I'm brave, but I don't feel any of that.

I just feel like me.

I feel strongly about weird things, and calm about others. I don't feel angry at the people who did this to me, yet I am extremely frustrated that I am being taken away from my work. I don't feel afraid to be alone or be out anywhere but I do feel over-particular when it comes to making decisions now...

Tomorrow I am being flown to the capital (of America) to be poked, prodded and reviewed by some of the best opthalmologists in the country.  The eye, overall, is healing well, however I am experiencing doubled vision when I use both eyes at the same time. Potentially the rest of the outcome of my life could be affected by what turns-up (or doesn't) from their examinations and I don't know how I feel about it.

Everything could change, how am I gonna be able to handle it?

3 comments:

Tamsen said...

Nathan, Kate speaks of her time in DC very fondly with the rest of the med evacs. Apparently there are two cupcake shops in town (within walking distance) that if you follow them on FB or twitter, they will give out free cupcakes if you know the secret password. A good way to put on some extra weight if you need it. :) Glad to hear that you feel like yourself still; many prayers are being offered up for you. May your eye, spirit, and heart be healed.

Edlytheterrible said...

will be praying for you Nathan, glad you made it to DC safely, hope they are able to figure out what is wrong and fix it! Love you! <3

jmh777redneck said...

youll be in my prayers brother!