Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Charisma Kenya

Have you ever had a moment that was so unexpected, so wonderful, and so exciting that it seems like it could have been nothing more then divine intervention?

I did.

It all started because I forgot to take a picture for my Community Needs Assessment.  As I was waiting for my matatu to leave so I could head out for our group's In-service Training, I quickly decided to grab a quick pic.  As I was heading back to the matatu I was stopped by a gentlemen who as to tell me about his organization, unfortunately the bus was leaving without me so we set up a meeting for when I returned.

During our meeting James told me all about his Community Based Organization called Charisma Kenya. The ultimate goal for the organization is to finish building an orphanage in the nearby community of Wiyomiririe. Unfortunately, he has been doing most of the work entirely by himself.  As the organization he has bought the land (2 acres) and just have to gather enough money and water bottles (5 million to be exact) to build the complex. That's right a building made of water bottles.

Example:
This has been such a God-send for several reasons. First, it gives me a HUGE project to be working on that will hopefully take up a good amount of my time. Second, it is a project related to Orphans and Vulnerable Children which I have a huge heart for AND is a significant part of emphasized work for PCV's. Third, James is willing to help me with a Choo building project in the community. (It only takes about 100 waterbottles and the cost of a door and roof to build one!) and finally it is a perfect way for YOU back in the states to help partner with me in my work here in Kenya (more to come on that).

This has definitely helped with my feeling of purpose in being here in Kenya and made me SO excited to continue my work!

No comments: