Friday, September 7, 2012

Getting Back in the Game: Low Ropes Style

Ever have those moments where you just have to sit back and say "Yes! That, that right there. That is why."? Yesterday, I got to have one of those moments.

We FINALLY got to meet with the Community Health Workers for Ngorika District. In Kenya, CHW's are volunteers trained by the gov't to go house to house to take health inventory, provide advice and preventative health knowledge, give some first aid, and make referrals to the Health Centres for serious cases. It's a huge task, and they do it for no compensation.

Part of my job here looks as if it will be to help revamp the CHW programme. Due to the hardships, unfulfilled promises of supplies, and lack of incentives, the group is now at about 20 from the original 50 volunteers.

First step: Make their monthly meetings worth the muti-kilometre trek it takes to get there. This is where my training from the best job ever with the SSU Low-Ropes Course came into play.

I decided to start them with a few aquaintance games and I have never heard a group of 30-50 year olds giggle and crack up laughing more in my entire life.

Afterwards my counterpart came up to me and said that she couldn't have thanked me enough for conducting the meeting in that way. "We have so many cares and responsibilities just to survive, I know each and everyone of us want to play and have fun like our children, we have simply forgotten how," She said.

And that's what makes it all worth it.

2 comments:

Edlytheterrible said...

Sounds like your doing an awesome job Nathan!! Knew you would, we love you and miss you, praying for you brother! <3

Anonymous said...

That is so cool... gave me chills thinking about all of those people having fun like that! Way to go, friend.