Monday, September 24, 2012

Donkey Blues

Donkeys are the bomb.

They are so useful here in Kenya; keep down the lawn, great source of transport, and excellent for labour purposes and they are so mopey it’s cute.

Yesterday, as I was walking home from Nyaitoga (a “nearby” community) and witnessed a poor donkey with a ridiculous load slip and fall over into a ditch. The owner was in a slight panic and I rushed over to see what I could do to help.

It was at just a wrong angle that even when we released its load from around it, it couldn’t wriggle to its feet. We were trying to help it by pushing its back end around so it was more downhill, when it freaked a little, and kicking, made contact with my thigh.

Needless to say it hurt, no broken skin, but the fattiest bruise is probably going to show up. We managed to get the donkey up, and I proceeded limping the last 5 km home.

Just another crazy day in Kenya.

No comments: