Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Things Fall Apart (and It'll Be OK)

Exactly two months ago, I had little notion that my whole world would be flipped on it's head.  I had an amazing job with Peace Corps, and was ready to dive into another year and a half's work within my village and with some amazing people. Then three people changed all that.

In a matter of five minutes, the actions of three men diverted the course of my life, removed me from my job, my friends, and took away my healthy vision. 

Two and a half weeks and two surgeries later, I found myself on a plane back to America, which was ultimately the most painful journey I have, as of yet, experienced. From there I have had to see several doctor's, do a tremendous amount of waiting, and the hardest part of all; keep a positive mind and not wallow in self-pity and worry about the future. Yet after two and a half months a decision had to be made concerning my service with Peace Corps.  It was a long and agonising process but one that I hope is the best thing for me.

I am sad to let you all know that I am officially being separated from my Peace Corps service and I am making my way back to the West Coast on Wednesday.

It has been an awful battle in my mind. The hardest part, of course, is seeing a huge dream of mine come to an end but the one thing that has kept me from loosing it is coming to realise that sometimes good things fall apart so that better things can fall together.  I don't know what the future will hold for me but I know that it will come together for my good.

Sometimes it feels like I'm giving up, and maybe some people will see it that way. However, I have been through a lot and had to come to realise (overcoming my pride to do this) that, sometimes, letting things go doesn't indicate weakness but rather shows you are strong enough and brave enough lo let go.

Peace Corps is tough and if it were easy, everyone would do it.  That's why I look to my fellow PCVs as a group of the bravest, strongest, and sometimes most stubborn, people that I know. I love them dearly and am so pained to have left them behind on a beautiful continent called Africa.





"I can be changed by what happens to me. I refuse to be reduced by it."
~Maya Angelou

2 comments:

Tanim said...

I'm sorry Nate, but I'm inspired by your positive outlook. May the road forward strengthen rather than tire, reveal rather than confuse, and all things considered, you're very much welcome to all of our sites should you ever return.
God bless you and with love,
Tanim

Anonymous said...

Nathan, the Maya Angelou quote is perfect. I know you will not be reduced by the change, but will be transformed....a phoenix rising out of the ashes...stronger and more beautiful than before. We love you!
Aunt Ellen, Uncle Kreso, Tatjana, and Jakob