Friday, September 6, 2013

What I Want

I want an end to the culture wars.

Where the Church is not politically minded, concerned with the ebbs and flows of partisanship, but rather emphasises the Kingdom, as a whole, over one party or even one country.

I want a community that doesn't hide behind Dogma and traditional precedence.  That doesn't spout rote answers to my hard-pressed, struggled for questions! A community where I can feel safe to ask the tough questions that plague my mind and to wrestle with the doubt that squeezes at my chest.

Give me a people who value and challenge each other to strive for lives of integrity and holiness;  where living lives of consumeristic simplicity, of reconciliation and rehabilitation over incarceration, of protection of creation, of peacemaking, of care for the oppressed, is pursued over living lives that are little more than sticking to a list of rules.

I long to feel like I don't have to choose between my intellectual integrity and my faith. So there can be a harmony between science and faith.

I want a Church that is known for what it stands for, fights for, not what it is against.  One that is seen as a body of compassion and caring for the human person, not hostile and unwelcoming. Where my LGBT friends can feel TRULY welcome within my faith community, not shunned by it.

Please, stop trying to churn out edgier music, a more laid-back service, coffee-shops and stores in the foyer, more "trendy" pastors. It's all light shows and noise,  a performance that nobody is buying.

People aren't interested because its not "cool" enough.
I don't want to be associated with Christianity because it's old-fashioned or backwards. I don't want to be associated with it cause I don't feel like I'm find Jesus there....