Friday, May 24, 2013

Aspiring to the Median

I can say with the utmost honestly that the last few months of readjustment have been some of the hardest existential struggles I have had in my life.  In some ways I feel like I am back in High School, angst-ily trying to figure out who I am.  Other times I feel like I'm back in college, full of faith reckoning and finding out how my spiritual, social, and experiential views can coincide.

I am half Agony and half Hope and the Universe, at this moment often feels torn, twisting, an ungiving wasteland.

People talk to me of sacrifice, of the time I spent in Africa, and how much was taken from me.  Some even stating, or wondering, if maybe I was not meant to go, that the difficulty I faced to even get into the Peace Corps was a sign I wasn't meant to go, that I mistook the Call to leave with my own desires for volunteerism and justice.

This of course I don't see as true, I was meant to go, and gain much from my time there.  It was my great joy to go, to be used up for a purpose I recognised as a mighty one.  I, however, cannot look at my life and actions as a sacrifice or else I am receiving the glory -- not God.

If I continue look at my circumstances as what was taken from me, I risk being nothing more than a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making ME happy. As if I was the centre of it!

Instead I want to be a force of nature, a powerhouse to be reckoned with.

Troubles I have, no matter how difficult and dark and seemingly consuming of my life they might be, I have been promised more. These are light and momentary, achieving for me more then I can see right now.

So "Keep the earth below my feet ... / Help me learn from where I have been / Keep my eyes to serve, my hands to learn."

1 comment:

Tamsen said...

Silly people--do they not see the things that you have received while there? The gift that you were to your teammates? The relationships that you built there and will most likely continue? Even for a shorter time than anticipated, you certainly were a blessing and a light to those who you were with.

Onward, friend.