Sunday, February 24, 2013

Say What You Need To Say


We all know about actionary iniquity.  Where we do something that we shouldn't; but there is an iniquity that I know of and realise I do a little to often, and that is the iniquity of omission. The act of NOT doing something when we should.  

This is a story of a time when I acted, all while trying not to vomit from nerves...

Living here in DC has given me an experience that I've never had before; using the Metro.  I generally like being able to travel the Metro, mostly because I like people watching, and you get all types of  people down there. The other day I was riding back from the movie theatre having just watched Lincoln and having very justice oriented mentality.  I'm sitting in the seats waiting for my stop when three 20-somethings get onto the train. They are talking and joking around, somewhat crudely, and one of them uses the 'n' word towards the other.

I hate that word, obviously when it's used in hate, but I still hate it even if it is used amoungst the African American community towards each other. Now I understand the notion of "taking the word back" to try and reduce it's hateful power, but that word, or any other racist, sexist or other slur, is never used in a "good way" -- it is dehumanizing and destructive in any context, and I believe should be corrected when anyone uses it.

So there was my conundrum.  Do I sit there and let it slide, or do I stand up and advocate against the use of that word? Of course thoughts against stepping in are running through my mind; what will they think of me? What place do I have as a White guy telling them they shouldn't use that word, one that has been rather engrained into the culture? 

What do I do?

The anger over injustice and hate that I had just come from seeing in Lincoln, and some unusual bit of confidence won out.  Surprisingly (or at least it seemed) they were rather receptive, a little defensive at first, but they listened to what was on my heart. 

Now, I doubt that I stopped them from ever using that word again, and they more then likely used it again that same day, but hopefully an impression was made cause someone stood up.  People don't do that enough, for various reasons, but the older I get and the more injustices I see, I believe that if you have a correction to speak to someone, you have an obligation to stand up and say something.  It can be very difficult because oftentimes no matter how cautiously you choose your words, someone will always twist them around and misinterpret what you say. 

But you need to just say what you need to say.

No comments: