Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Thank You For Your Service

When I started out my morning yesterday I definitely didn't expect to be both honoured and blessed in one trip to the optometrist. As you all know the damage to my lenses was rather intense:



Therefore it was necessary to get a replacement so I headed down to LensCrafters assuming this would be a completely normal visit. It started out fairly normal, typical questions of what happened, followed by sentiments of apology and concern for my well-being. All very well meant of course, but honestly it's hard to feel pitied all the time.

While the doctor was taking measurements and assessing all the details for replacement we started chatting about Peace Corps and some of my work over the last few months, and she was telling me about a programme that LensCrafters does to get prescriptions to people both overseas and in America that cannot afford glasses that she was privileged to be apart of.

It turned out that the repairs to the glasses were going to be a little more expensive then either of us imagined and the amount Peace Corps was going to allot would only cover about half of the total cost so the rest was going to be on me. The doctor turns to me and says, "one second I'll be right back." She's gone for about five minutes and returns saying, "No worries, it's all taken care of."  Needless to say I was completely taken aback and asked why.

She told me that she was proud of me for joining Peace Corps and thinks that the work we do is amazing and extremely worthwhile. She wanted to help me out because she thinks we get so little acknowledgement for the work that we do, and of course felt sorry for what happened to me, so she used her 50% discount to reduce the price so that it would be covered by Peace Corps and not have to come out of my pocket. Of course I was completely speechless and could barely find my voice to thank her.

Being a Peace Corps volunteer is an amazing experience in many ways, but even as a volunteer it is easy to forget that I am serving my country. Today I was blessed and reminded how special my job is, and all because I needed to get my glasses fixed.


2 comments:

Kate-y said...

Interesting the twists and turns life takes us on, if we allow it. I was just watching Homeland and thinking not that we have ANY credit on our soldiers and American military, but that there are inherent risks in the work that we do as well. Then it got me thinking about how much risk I'm willing to take, and for what cause. For that, I am proud to serve my country.

Anonymous said...

I believe her helping you had 30% to do with your service with Peace Corps and the other 70% is because of the person you are, which of course led you to serve in Peace Corps. Good things will always find you Nathan.